Boost Your Energy Levels.
When the winter hits, for some reason, the cold weather seems to drain our energy levels. Some find it harder to get out of bed in the morning, some find it tough to commit to those morning runs and some lack the motivation to stay healthy. Not to mention the illnesses that breed during this time of year. If you find yourself treading through the winter you should try these seasonal energizing foods.
5 Energizing Winter foods
- Water – Granted the fact that water is not food, it’s important because you can still get dehydrated and suffer from over-exhaustion during the cold months of winter. Water is also a natural solution for energy.
- Nuts – Containing loads of protein and magnesium, nuts are a great choice for a mid-day snack as well. Almonds, walnuts, Brazil nuts are great sources for. Now that pumpkin seeds are in season they are pretty cheap, start loading them into your diet.
- Whole grains – start your morning of with a nice steamy bowl of oatmeal. The B vitamins and fiber make oatmeal one of the best healthy breakfast choices. Oatmeal helps give you a boost of energy throughout your day not to mention, who doesn’t like a nice hot bowl of oatmeal on a cold winter day?
- Yogurt – Greek yogurt is really becoming popular and for a good reason. The amount of protein you consume from Greek or low-fat yogurt will multiply and the probiotics in yogurt will help keep you healthy and keep your immune system strong.
- Dark chocolate – Satisfy your sweet tooth with this treat. Make sure it’s dark chocolate, though. The caffeine in dark chocolate will give you that initial pick-me-up, but then it just keeps on giving. It helps increase blood flow to your brain and contains antioxidants, magnesium, and iron. This is really a natural choice to fill your cravings and give you energy.
Winter is the month where we typically stock up with foods and gain weight to help us feel warmer throughout the day. Even if your goal is weight loss, there’s nothing wrong with a little winter carb loading but just make sure they are healthier choices. If you eat these foods throughout the day, then there’s no doubt you will feel energized and able to get through the long winter months without a problem.